- Remain in the base position or a cross-legged pose.
- Place the fingers of the right hand on the right shoulder.
- Keep the left hand on the left knee and the back straight.
- Rotate the right elbow in a large circle.
- Practice 10 times clockwise and 10 times anti-clockwise.
- Repeat with the left elbow.
- Make sure that the head, trunk and spine remain straight and still.
- Place the fingers of the left hand on the left shoulder and the fingers of the right hand on the right shoulder.
- Fully rotate both elbows at the same time in a large circle.
- Try to touch the elbows in front of the chest on the forward movement and touch the ears while moving up.
- Stretch the arms back in the backward movement and touch the sides of the trunk while coming down.
- Practice slowly 10 times clockwise and then 10 times anticlockwise.
Inhale on the upward stroke. Exhale on the downward stroke.
On the breath, mental counting and the stretching sensation around the shoulder joint.
The shoulder asanas relieve the strain of driving and office work, and are helpful in cervical spondylitis and frozen shoulder. They also maintain the shape of the shoulders and chest.