Upavishtha Konasana – Upavishtha means seated. Kona means an angle.
- Sit on the floor with the legs stretched straight in front.
- Move the legs sideways one by one and widen the distance between them as far as you can. Keep the legs extended throughout and see that the back of the entire legs rests on the floor.
- Catch the big toes between the respective thumbs and index and middle fingers.
- Keep the spine erect and extend the ribs. Pull the diaphragm up and hold the pose for a few seconds with deep breaths.
- Exhale, bend forward and rest the head on the floor. Then extend the neck and place the chin on the floor.
- Then, clasp the feet with the hands and try to rest the chest on the floor. Stay in this position from 30 to 6o seconds with normal breathing.
- Inhale, raise the trunk off the floor (Plate 148) and release the hold on the feet, bring them together and relax.
- Hold the left foot with both hands, exhale and rest the chin on the left knee. Inhale and raise the head and trunk. Now catch the right foot and with an exhalation rest the chin on the right knee. Inhale, raise the head and trunk, release the hands, bring the feet together and relax.
Effects of Upavishtha Konasana
Upavishtha Konasana stretches the hamstrings and helps the blood to circulate properly in the pelvic region and keeps it healthy. It prevents the development of hernia of which it can cure mild cases and relieves sciatic pains. Since the asana controls and regularises the menstrual flow and also stimulates the ovaries, it is a boon to women.
This article is presented to you by Abhyasa Yoga, Hyderabad. At Abhyasa you can learn and practice Hatha Yoga, Power Yoga, Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, Asana, Pranayama and Meditation. Interested students may apply for Yoga Teacher Training Course at our Yoga Institute. Contact +91 9292403492, +91 40 64641292 for yoga classes and more details.