- Lie in the base position with the palms flat on the floor.
- Inhale and raise the right leg as high as is comfortable, keeping it straight and the foot relaxed.
- The left leg should remain straight and in contact with the floor.
- Hold the posture for 3 to 5 seconds, counting mentally and retaining the breath.
- Exhale and slowly lower the leg to the floor.
- This is one round.
- Practice 5 rounds with the right leg and then 5 rounds with the left leg.
- This may be repeated raising both legs together.
Inhale while raising the leg(s). Hold the posture and the breath. Exhale while lowering the leg(s).
On synchronizing the movement with the breath, the stretch in the legs and mental counting in the final position.
This asana strengthens the abdominal muscles and massages the organs. It strengthens the digestive system, lower back, pelvic and perineal muscles and helps correct prolapse.
Utthanpadasana may be repeated raising the legs to progressive heights of 15,25,35,45 cm respectively in each round.